Training for Medical Interpreters – Bridging the Gap
The program covers:
- Basic interpreting skills. Roles, ethics, conduit and clarifier interpreting; managing the flow of the session.
- Information on healthcare. Introduction to healthcare systems, anatomy, and basic medical procedures.
- Culture in interpreting. Self-awareness; the basic characteristics of specific cultures; traditional healthcare in specific communities; cultural brokering.
- Communication skills for advocacy. Listening skills and communication styles; how doctors think; appropriate advocacy.
Tuition: $700 (includes the $100 non-refundable fee)
Limited scholarships are available for agencies that serve agricultural workers.
Upcoming Bridging the Gap Courses:
- Every Wednesday and Friday from 8 AM – 5 PM in May 2021
- Every Wednesday and Friday from 8 AM – 5 PM in October 2021.
For information on tuition and scholarships or to request an application form: contact Beverly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 315-871-1133
Registration Enrollment Procedure
- Step 1: Complete and submit the application to Beverly Sirvent via fax (315-531-9103) or email
- Step 2: Mail $100 check, payable to Finger Lakes Community Health, PO Box 423, Penn Yan, NY 14527
- Step 3: Once we receive your completed application form and $100 non-refundable deposit, we will send you instructions via email on how to proceed with the Language Proficiency Assessment.
- Step 4: Once you’ve completed the Language Proficiency Assessment, you will receive an acceptance email message with a link that will allow you to enroll in the course.
- Step 5: Confirm your attendance, and pay the balance of $600.00 for the tuition.
*Certificates of successful completion will be awarded to participants who score above 70% on the post test.