Training for Medical Interpreters – Bridging the Gap
Finger Lakes Community Health offers 40 and 64 hour professional development programs that prepare bilingual individuals to work as medical interpreters. The program, called Bridging the Gap, is used to train novice and experienced medical interpreters nationally as well as internationally.
The program covers:
- Basic interpreting skills. Roles, ethics, conduit and clarifier interpreting; managing the flow of the session.
- Information on healthcare. Introduction to healthcare systems, anatomy, and basic medical procedures.
- Culture in interpreting. Self-awareness; the basic characteristics of specific cultures; traditional healthcare in specific communities; cultural brokering.
- Communication skills for advocacy. Listening skills and communication styles; how doctors think; appropriate advocacy.
Tuition: $700 (includes the $100 non-refundable fee)
Limited scholarships are available for agencies that serve agricultural workers.
Upcoming Bridging the Gap Courses:
- March / April 2022: Fridays from 8 AM – 5 PM.
- September 2022: Wednesdays and Fridays 8 AM – 5 PM.
- Additional sessions may be available for groups of 6 people or more. Please contact Beverly at BeverlyS@flchealth.org.
For information on scholarships or to request an application form, contact Beverly at BeverlyS@flchealth.org.
Registration Enrollment Procedure
- Step 1: Complete and submit the application to Beverly Sirvent at BeverlyS@flchealth.org
- Step 2: Mail $100 check, payable to Finger Lakes Community Health, Attention: BTG, PO Box 423, Penn Yan, NY 14527
- Step 3: Once we receive your completed application form and $100 non-refundable deposit, we will send you instructions via email on how to proceed with the Language Proficiency Assessment.
- Step 4: Once you’ve completed the Language Proficiency Assessment, you will receive an acceptance email.
- Step 5: Confirm your attendance, and pay the balance of $600.00 for the tuition.
*Certificates of successful completion will be awarded to participants who score above 70% on the post test.